Calling America onto the carpet
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

I am calling America on the carpet and you can put my name all over it. We blame our govt, politicians, the rich, the 1%, for ruining our country, and for failing to get back on track. Before we can have any hope of recovery, we have to shift the culpability back onto our own shoulders. The American consumer has a lot of bad habits. The 99% spends more than we invest. We didn’t fight the changes we knew were wrong. We expect the government to regulate our common sense and then complain there’s too much government. Our rabid need for the latest and greatest keeps the rich rich, the poor poor, with no lasting benefits beyond our impulsive needs. We can fix our economy, but not without accepting some responsibility and losing some pretty bad habits.

In the global economy, we are the 1%. And we have been marginalizing the other 99%. We don’t care about the consequences of cheap food and cheap imported electronics, as long as Walmart keeps selling them with flashy ads. Are the poor souls being exploited in order to “manage” labor costs? “It’s not our problem.” is usually our response. Isn’t that how our 1% treat us? Fate does have a sense of humor.

This soapbox moment comes from a healthy conversation about modern slavery. We may have ended it here a century ago, but we are the biggest sponsor of inhumane servitude today. As always, The realization of the American Dream is built on the backs of nightmares.